Location: Reisterstown, MD
Are you an experienced Controller in search of a growth-oriented company where your experience can help them put processes and controls in place to be more efficient and effective as the business scales? A Maryland based services firm with multiple locations in other states is currently seeking a Controller to lead their financial and accounting services functions. This is a well-established family-based services firm experiencing strong growth. They are looking for an experienced Controller who can help them put more effective systems and processes in place to help them scale for continued growth. This is a “boots on the ground / player-coach” position that will be involved in all aspects of the firm’s financial activities.
Job Summary for the Controller – National Services Firm
The primary function of this position is to plan, direct, coordinate and execute all accounting, tax, insurance, and other cash related activities of the organization. The ideal candidate will work with the existing team to understand and evaluate the current internal controls and processes and make recommendations on how the system can be improved. This position will report to the President.
Essential Functions of the Controller – National Services Firm
- Oversee monthly and annual reporting and reconciliation of financial books, contracts and invoices, to include oversight and management of external audits (i.e., financial, sales and use, bank)
- Use thinking competency to develop relevant forecasting and associated financial modeling while ensuring that decisions are in-line with the stated mission and core values of the organization.
- Oversee and manage all A/R and A/P activities
- Evaluate how the internal industry specific software integrates with financial systems.
- Monitor and report on all financials managing cash flow among various bank accounts.
- Serve as liaison for the organization to outside financial trusted advisors, financial service providers (banking and accounting relationships, etc.) and vendors, as necessary.
- Ensure compliance with Department of Labor (DOL), Internal Revenue Service (IRS), General Accepted Accounting Principles, state/county sales and use tax laws and other applicable laws and guiding
- Oversee the annual general business and other insurance renewal processes to ensure appropriate coverage and competitive
- Oversee tax filings, audits and ongoing tax
- Monitor the financial landscape and proactively identify potential risks to current and/or future business operations.
- Draw upon strong problem-solving and cross-collaboration skills to drive continuous process improvement in and outside of the accounting
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities of the Controller – National Services Firm
- Self-starter mentality who has a desire to be empowered
- Strong cross-collaboration and leadership skills
- Strong analytical ability and ability to see though the different processes of a project and define and measure costs
- Strong understanding of others; ability to understand roles and develop
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
Training and Experience Requirements for the Controller – National Services Firm
- BA/BS in Finance, Accounting or a related field is
- At least 3-5 years’ experience as an Assistant Controller or Controller.
- Industry experience in construction, manufacturing or another work-in progress environment is a
- Advanced in office computer software use (Word, Excel, Outlook, ).