Deputy Director of Public Works (0201)
Application Status: Open
Location: Kent County, MD
Are you an experienced Public Works professional in search of a position where your experience can help serve as one of the leaders of a county based public works department? Kent County Government is currently seeking a Deputy Director of Public Works to lead their Publics Works division. They are looking for a Public Works professional who can help them effectively manage all civil and engineering needs and projects.
Job Summary for the Deputy Director of Public Works – Kent County Government
The primary function of this position is to assist in the planning, direction, coordination and execution of all public works projects for the County. This includes roads, solid waste, recycling, building and grounds maintenance, water/wastewater service and Noxious Weed Control program. The ideal candidate will work with the existing team to oversee, manage and execute all engineering and utility related projects. This position will report to the Director of Public Works.
Essential Functions of the Deputy Director of Public Works – Kent County Government
- Assist in the direction of operations, employees, programs, projects, and activities of the Department of Public Works
- Assist and make recommendations for the preparation and implementation of the department’s budget, capital improvement plan, and appropriate master plans consistent with standard operating procedures and department priorities
- Research and prepare detailed engineering reports and conduct departmental reviews for various purposes including interdepartmental, outside regulatory agencies, contractors, consultants, vendors, and the general public
- Perform administration, engineering review and inspection of the County stormwater management program
- Provide management and oversight of County building and grounds maintenance operations and contractors
- Oversee design of departmental projects, operations, and construction management to continuously address effective and efficient service delivery
- Develop, recommend, revise, and enforce organizational and departmental standard operating procedures including County policies and safety rules and regulations
- Participate and make recommendations in personnel matters including, but not limited to, interviewing and selecting employees, appraising productivity and efficiency of employees, reviewing performance evaluations completed by division managers of their subordinates, offering advice and assistance when necessary, and handling employee complaints
- Administer MD SHA State Aid Program and County bridge Inspection program
- Keep abreast of problems, circumstances, activities or events that may/will affect the department and keep the Director apprised of concerns
- Provide ongoing administration and oversight of various County engineering contracts and agreements for which the Public Works Department is responsible
- Review and respond to questions, comments, complaints and requests for service lodged by the general public and recommend, establish, and implement revisions to departmental rules, regulations, policies, and procedures when deemed appropriate
- Assist with the development, implementation, administration and enforcement of departmental emergency operations, policies, and procedures
- Review construction plans; oversee project management activities
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities of the Deputy Director of Public Works – Kent County Government
- Comprehension of principles and practices of administration, civil engineering, and personnel management
- Ability to operate in a highly team-oriented environment
- Ability to demonstrate strong organizational and project management skills
- Ability to effectively communicate with elected and appointed officials, employees, agencies, other governmental entities, and the public.
- Ability to promote and support the department’s visions and objectives
- Ability to write clearly and informatively
- Strong customer service orientation
- Strong leadership and management skills
- Strong innovation and change management skills
Training and Experience Requirements for the Deputy Director of Public Works – Kent County Government
- Effective public speaking and conflict resolution.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil, Mechanical or Environmental Engineering, Construction Management, Public Administration or related field; Master’s Degree Preferred.
- At least 3 years of experience including two years of supervisory experience
- Advanced in office computer software use (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.)