Director of Public Works (0195)
Location: Carroll County, Maryland
Are you an experienced Public Works professional in search of a position where your experience can help lead, direct and manage a county based public works department? Carroll County Government is currently seeking a Director of Public Works to lead their Publics Works division. They are looking for an experienced Public Works professional who can help them effectively manage all civil and engineering needs and projects.
Job Summary for the Director of Public Works – Carroll County Government
The primary function of this position is to plan, direct, coordinate and execute all public works projects for the County. The ideal candidate will work with the existing team to oversee, manage and execute all engineering and utility related projects. This position will report to the County Administrator.
Essential Functions of the Director of Public Works – Carroll County Government
- Perform supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the current Carroll County Personnel Ordinance, County policies and applicable laws
- Direct the development and implementation of Public Works departmental goals, objectives and priorities
- Direct research, consult, advise and make recommendations related to Public Works goals and initiatives
- Formulate goals, policies, programs, procedures and work schedules for Department
- Establish and monitor controls to evaluate Departmental performance in meeting Carroll County objectives
- Oversee and participate in the development and administration of departmental operating and capital budgets and grant funded programs
- Work closely with Board of County Commissioners in the development and management of Public Works programs, issues and activities
- Collaborate and coordinate projects and initiatives with other departments and outside agencies
- Consult legal counsel to ensure policies, procedures, and practices comply with Federal, State, and local laws
- Work closely with Board of County Commissioners to develop and recommend Capital Improvement Program (CIP) and operating budgets
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities of the Director of Public Works – Carroll County Government
- Self-starter mentality who has a desire to be empowered
- Comprehension of principles and practices of administration, civil engineering, and personnel management as applied to the maintenance and operations of Public Works facilities, services, and system operations
- Knowledge of recent developments, current literature, environmental rules and regulations, field practices and other sources of information in Public Works Administration
- Ability to organize, direct and coordinate the activities of a large department in a manner conducive to high performance and good morale
- Ability to plan, prioritize, assign, and direct the work of professional, technical, clerical, and other support personnel within the Public Works Department
- Ability to make persuasive presentations on complex topics to top management, public groups and/or boards, and employees
- Strong understanding of others; ability to understand roles and develop
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
Training and Experience Requirements for the Director of Public Works – Carroll County Government
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil, Mechanical or Environmental Engineering, Construction Management, Public Administration or related field; Master’s Degree Preferred.
- At least 6 years of progressive supervisory experience in a Public Works environment
- Advanced in office computer software use (Word, Excel, Outlook, ).