Systems Engineer – Mechatronics (0171)
Application Status: Open
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Are you an experienced and passionate systems engineer professional looking for a position where you can bring your systems oriented approach to a custom engineering environment? A well established and profitable highly customized specialty vehicle manufacturing firm in the Greensboro, NC area is seeking a Systems Engineer. The qualified individual will be responsible for working between the various engineering disciplines to help drive effective and efficient engineering solutions.
Job Summary for the Systems Engineer – Mechatronics
The primary function of this position is to serve as the bond between the various engineering disciplines (Mechanical, Hadraulic, Electrical, Automated Controls, etc) as a part of the engineering team. Working together with the other members of the team, this position will be responsible for helping to ensure engineering and manufacturing processes and procedures are effective, efficient and well documented. The ideal candidate for this position will come from a similar customized production environment and be able to demonstrate the ability to employ mechatronic design solutions.
Essential Functions of the Systems Engineer – Mechatronics
- Publish engineering reports documenting design details or qualification test results.
- Provide consultation or training on topics such as mechatronics or automated control.
- Oversee the work of contractors in accordance with project requirements.
- Create mechanical design documents for parts, assemblies, or finished products.
- Maintain technical project files.
- Analyze existing development or manufacturing procedures and suggest improvements.
- Implement or test design solutions.
- Research, select, or apply sensors, communication technologies, or control devices for motion control, position sensing, pressure sensing, or electronic communication.
- Identify and select materials appropriate for mechatronic system designs.
- Create mechanical models and tolerance analyses to simulate mechatronic design concepts.
- Conduct studies to determine the feasibility, costs, or performance benefits of new mechatronic equipment.
- Upgrade the design of existing devices by adding mechatronic elements.
- Design advanced precision equipment for accurate or controlled applications.
- Apply mechatronic or automated solutions to the transfer of materials, components, or finished goods.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities of the Systems Engineer – Mechatronics
- Strong business acumen with the ability to understand business implications of engineering design decisions
- Ability to collaborate on complex engineering teams
- Highly effective at engaging and listening to team members to form team based solutions
- Strong creative mindset to envision outside-the-box mechatronic solutions
- Ability to work effectively on a dynamic team where personalities are strong and team members are not afraid to speak their mind and challenge one another
- Superior written and verbal communications skills
- Strong project management experience with the ability to keep all team members aware of project status and plan
- Strong creative and strategic mentality
- Strong analytical mindset with the ability to analyze problems and propose solutions quickly
- Ability to effectively communicate within the organization at all levels and with external constituents
- Must have a “roll up your sleeves” mentality to do the work that needs to be done
Training & Experience Requirements for the Systems Engineer – Mechatronics
- Experience with practical application of engineering science and technology
- Experience working in a highly customized manufacturing or engineering environment preferred
- Knowledge of machines and tools including their designs, uses, repair and maintenance
- Experience with drafting, laying out and specifying technical devices, parts and equipment and how devices interface with computers
- Experience successfully working as a team member working to put systems and processes in place
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 5+ years of systems engineering experience
- Experience with Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC) and Ladder Logic
- Aviation experience a plus